Accommodation with swimming pool at Doro Nawas | Damaraland
Doro Nawas Camp Namibia offers luxury accommodation with pool in Damaraland near Twyfelfontein. Located in the Kunene region this camp is well suited for both self-drive travellers and fly-in guests to Namibia. Doro Nawas provides an excellent base to explore the attractions of rugged Damaraland. Accommodation units are made of canvas walls with thatch roofs and have been designed to blend in with the surrounding environment. The chalets are more than comfortable and offer a high level of amenities. Guests particularly enjoy the beds that are equipped with wheels and can be easily pushed a short distance to the veranda and sleep out under the milky way. You can count the shooting stars from the comfort of your bed. The chalets at Doro Nawas are private and the views stretch over the distant horizon giving one an excellent perspective of this ancient land. The camp rests nearby the dry banks of the Aba Huab river and the magnificent desert-adapted elephants can often be seen traversing the riverbed.
One of Africa’s highest concentrations of rock art can be viewed nearby. Twyfelfontein, Namibia’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site is a popular attraction in Damaraland. Ancient petroglyphs (prehistoric rock engravings) and some San rock art depict the stories written on the rocks by the San in the area from many years ago. There are no large concentrations of wildlife in the area due to the shortage of water but there is still plenty of game to be spotted. Other nearby attractions to Doro Nawas Camp include the Organ Pipes, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and the Damara Living Museum. The landscapes themselves are dramatic in appearance and it is of no surprise that the San people described Namibia as ‘the land that God made in anger’.
Activities at Doro Nawas Damaraland include wildlife and scenic drives. Game that may be viewed on nature drives include the mighty desert-adapted elephant, gemsbok, springbok and a variety of other smaller mammal species such as bat-eared fox. Cheetah also roam these plains and if you are lucky you may get a glimpse of the elusive and highly endangered black rhino. Bird lovers will be pleased to know that birding is excellent in this area and hosts several near- endemic species such as the Damara hornbill, Carp’s tit and Rüpell’s korhaan.
Doro Nawas is located close to Twyfelfontein World Heritage Site in Damaraland in the Kunene Region of Namibia
Amenities of Doro Nawas:
- Beds are equipped with wheels (mosquito net available on request) to roll out onto the deck for sleep-outs
- Writing desk and chair, electronic safe, hairdryer (available on request from reception)
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- No air-conditioning, however, a ceiling and pedestal fan is provided
- Family suite available
- En-suite facilities with indoor shower, outdoor shower, vanity and toilet
- Amenities include liquid soap, body wash, shampoo and conditioner, body lotion
- Pool in main area with partially shaded deck and loungers
- Living area combining indoor and outdoor dining area and bar with rooftop access for 360 degree panoramic views
- Reading area with a selection of reference books
- Open fireplace
- During winter months a gas heater is stationed in the main area
- Safari Trading Store
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access in the main area
- Daily Laundry Services