Kulala Desert Lodge
Kulala Desert Lodge offers luxury tented accommodation and is the closest lodge to Sossusvlei. A private gate to the Namib Naukluft National Park is available exclusively for Wilderness Safaris vehicles and guests staying at Kulala Desert Lodge. Sossusvlei is one of the most popular attractions in Namibia and forms part of the Namib Sand Sea World Heritage Site. Marvel at the sheer natural beauty of the surrounding sea of pristine and untouched desert dunes. The distinct orange colour of the gigantic dunes dotted with tufts of grass will leave you mesmerized at this natural wonder. Guests can absorb the views from their own private verandas and are advised to pay particular attention to the shadows that form over the dunes during sunrise and sunset.
4×4 nature drives to Sossusvlei and the Deadvlei are available for guests. Deadvlei is one of the most photographed scenes from the African continent and is littered with ancient preserved skeletons of camelthorn trees. Take a moment to consider that hundreds of years ago water flowed through this area as the giant surrounding orange dunes are in a constant process of shifting.
This luxury desert lodge offers their guests the option of sleeping on a flat platform on the rooftop of their kulala. This is a popular choice for honeymooners seeking something memorable. The above luminous milky way and shooting stars will stay in your memory long after.
A swimming pool is available for guests to refresh and cool off when things get too hot. Lie back on the loungers and order yourself something from the bar.
This lodge is easily accessible for self-drive travellers to Namibia – please note that a 4×4 is recommended for your safety and comfort. A nearby airstrip caters for those guests planning a fly-in safari to Namibia.
23 luxury thatched and canvas tents each built on a wooden platform.
Wildlife that exists in the reserve include ostrich, springbok, gemsbok, spotted hyaena and the occasional brown hyaena. Smaller creatures such as bat-eared fox, black-backed jackal, and Cape fox can also be seen. Birders will be fascinated to learn that the aptly named dune lark, has its entire global distribution limited to the surrounding area.
Kulala Desert Lodge is located in the Kulala Wilderness Reserve approximately 33 km’s from Sesriem which is the entrance to Sossusvlei.
Amenities of Kulala Desert Lodge:
23 luxury thatched & canvas tents
- 23 luxurious thatched and canvas tents each built on a wooden platform with a flat rooftop for sleep-outs under the stars
- Writing desk and chair, easy chairs, luggage rack
- Mosquito net (available on request only)
- Electronic safe
- Hairdryer (available on request from reception)
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- No air-conditioning, however a ceiling fan is provided
- Private veranda with view of the Sossusvlei dunes
- Private rooftop area for sleep-outs accessed by wooden stairs behind the tent
- Families welcome
- En-suite facilities with an indoor shower, single basin vanity and flush toilet
- Amenities include liquid soap, body wash, shampoo and conditioner and body lotion
- Pool in main area with partially shaded deck and loungers
- Lounge, dining and bar areas
- Open fireplace
- Deck overlooking waterhole
- Reading area with a selection of reference books
- Guest toilets in the main area
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access in the main area
- Daily laundry facilities available
- 4x4 day trip excursions to Deadvlei and Sossusvlei
- Night drives around the 37000 hectare private Kulala Nature Reserve
- Hot air ballooning over the Namib Desert and Sossusvlei dunes
- Scenic sundowner drives
- Guided nature walk trail from the camp
- Stargazing with a laser pointer
- Guided electronic powered fat bike excursions
Media & Technology
- Free Wi-Fi access in the main area