Serra Cafema offers super luxury accommodation and is located in the northern reaches of Kaokoveld in the Kunene region of Namibia. Situated on the banks of the Kunene River which is a natural boundary between Namibia and Angola guests can truly experience a break from the modern world. Serra Cafema is one of the most isolated camps in Southern Africa. The tranquil sounds of the perennial waters of the passing river enable guests to disconnect and truly unwind and relax. The surrounding area is home to the semi-nomadic Himba tribe – a people that have clung to their traditional way of life. An encounter with the Himba people is a cultural experience not to be missed. A visit to a Himba community gives guests an opportunity to interact and learn about the customs and lifestyle of these fascinating people.
The 8 chalets are luxurious and are well-equipped to ensure that your stay in one of the driest deserts in the world is more than comfortable. In-tent massages are available to guests. Set amongst verdant trees the chalets are positioned on elevated decks and crafted in wood and canvas – the influence of the Himba tribe is evident throughout the camp. Guests can have sundowners on their own private decks whilst they watch the African sun setting on the shimmering waters of the Kunene River. The surrounding landscapes are desolate and fascinating as the river is the only source of water in this region. An oasis is found along its banks as it meanders like a serpent through an otherworldly lunar-like desert landscape.
Small herds of Hartmann’s mountain zebra, springbok and gemsbok (Oryx) can be spotted in the area whilst the occasional Nile crocodile can be seen lazing on the banks of the river. Bird lovers can look out for the Burchell’s courser and Benguela long-billed lark. The river can be safely explored by boat and gives guests the chance to experience their surroundings from a different perspective.
Serra Cafema is located on the banks of the Kunene River in Koakoland in the Kunene Region of Namibia.
Amenities of Serra Cafema:
- No air-conditioning, however, each room consists of one pedestal fan and a ceiling fan
- En-suite facilities with separate toilet, double vanity basin, indoor and outdoor shower
- Bath robes, slippers, liquid soap, body wash, shampoo and conditioner, body lotion
- Safari Trading Store
- Reading area with a selection of reference books
- Daily laundry services available
Food & Drink
- Dining and lounge areas, sunken viewing decks and bar under thatch and on an elevated wooden deck
- Pool in main area
- Guided quad bike rides
- Guided nature walks
- Nature 4x4 drives in Hartmann’s Valley
- Boat cruises on the Kunene River
- Visiting and interacting with a Himba Tribe
- Stargazing with a laser pointer
Media & Technology
- Free In-Tent Wi-Fi